Installing replacement windows and doors in your Sacramento, CA home is a great way to get rid of unwanted pests, drafts, and high energy bills. However, with all the options available, and the high stakes of the big investment, replacing your windows and doors can be an overwhelming process. But it doesn’t have to be! There are steps you can take to make sure that your new replacement windows and doors are the best they can be.
Follow these 10 steps, and you’re sure to have fabulous replacement windows and doors in no time that you and your family can enjoy for a long time.
- Think About Adding Extras – Double or triple-paned glass panels for windows and doors, as well as extra thick doors not only help keep energy costs down, but also keep unwanted sound out for a more quiet and comfortable home. Think about investing in extras for added efficiency or safety.
- Read the Label – Most doors and windows these days come with labels detailing their energy efficiency ratings.
- Check for Performance – High quality replacement windows and doors should have airtight seals for weatherproof performance and energy efficient function. Inspect the corners and edges of the window and door frames for cracks and crevices, and make sure the windows tilt or open easily for ventilation and maintenance.
- Trust the Professionals – Your contractor and vendor know what they’re talking about. Listen to their advice and recommendations when making your decisions, but never feel pressured if you don’t agree.
- Follow All Local Codes – There are replacement window and door installation codes in place to ensure you and your family’s safety. Be aware of such codes and take care to follow them.
- Measure – While contractors and professional measure the space, it’s always a good idea to measure yourself as well.
- Don’t Forget the Trim – It’s easy to forget the finishing touches. Your replacement windows and doors won’t look complete without new trim to go with them. Have fun and add other accessories and extras too, like lights and new hardware.
- Triple Check – Double and triple check all of your measurements before giving them to your contractor. This ensures a good fit and tight seal for weatherproof systems.
- Install Flashing – Even the highest quality windows and doors can leak at the top without flashing or drip caps, especially in our somewhat wet climate.
- Bonus Protection – Storm doors and windows are a great way to protect your new windows and doors and your home from severe weather.
Follow the above steps and trust The Window and Door Shop, Inc. and you’re sure to have amazing replacement windows and doors to enjoy for years to come.
The Window and Door Shop, Inc. has years of experience to guide you through your Sacramento, CA replacement window and door project. Looking for examples of our work or options? Visit our showroom! Want more information before you commit? Give us a call. We are more than happy to answer any of your questions.