The entry door to your home is one of the most important parts of your exterior. It’s there to welcome the world in and add curb appeal. If you are in the market for a new entry door, there are a few items you should consider before you buy exterior doors.
When Should You Replace Your Entry Door?
You’ll probably have a good idea when your current entry door needs to be retired. It may be hard to open and close because it doesn’t fit the frame anymore. It could also have cracks, scratches, and other physical damage. Lastly, it may be a huge drain on energy, letting in drafts and letting heat escape.
Terms You Need to Know
When working with a replacement door company, you’ll hear some terms that may not be familiar. Here’s a quick list of the most used terms you need to know.
- Lite: Glass inserts
- Sidelites: Glass inserts that are on both or one side of the door
- Caming: Strips of metal that join segmented glass
- Casing/trim: Molding surrounding the door frame
- Stop: Strip of wood around the entire inside of the door that prevents the door from swinging too far
- Panels: Rectangular patterns on the door—these can be inset or raised
- Inswing: Opens into the interior
- Outswing: Opens out to the exterior
Determining the Right Material
Your new entry door can be made from a variety of materials. Those include wood, fiberglass, or steel. Each has its own unique attributes.
- Beauty and warmth
- From modern to traditional, wood is versatile
- Stain or paint any color
- Sturdy, heavy feel
- Insulating core
- Customizable based on size, style, accents, glass and more
- Good at reducing sound
- Weather-resistant qualities—won’t bow or warp due to moisture or temperature changes
- Get the look of woodgrain or painted wood
- Customized options
- Energy-efficient core
- Dent resistant
- Less expensive than wood doors
- Minimal maintenance
Accent with Hardware, Deco Glass, and More
Make your new entry door special with hardware. With lots of finishes and styles to choose from, you can make your front door glam, sophisticated, and modern. We offer and recommend Emtek Hardware.
If you’d like to bring some natural light into your foyer, you may decide to choose a door with glass inserts. This will make any new entry door stand out, and with an almost endless number of possibilities, this a deco glass for every taste.
Further, you can personalize your door more with metal accents, door knockers, speakeasies, and grilles. Your front door can have a sparkling personality of its own with all these add-ons.
Shop for a New Entry Door Today
The Window and Door Shop has many different style doors available to see in our showroom. This will give you a good place to start, then you can customize it. Visit us today at our Sacramento location.