People get Sacramento, CA replacement windows for many reasons, from general appearance and technology upgrades to energy efficiency. However, most homeowners rarely think about one big reason why they should replace their windows: home security.
Windows can easily become unsecure, allowing burglars or other people with bad intentions access to your home. But how can you tell if your windows might be potential targets? Take a look at your windows for these signs:
- Can people outside on the street easily see into your home from your windows? If people on the street can, so can potential burglars.
- Your windows are older, making them vulnerable. If your old windows don’t close properly or are loose, they are a big risk.
- If your windows have damage or other signs of problems, like cracks or breaks in the glass, rust, or rot, they are calling out for invaders to get in.
Don’t worry if your windows have any of these issues! It’s easy to fix window security with a window replacement. When replacing your windows, there are a few easy add-ons and adjustments you can choose to make your new windows better equipped to protect your home. Look into things like:
- Tempered Glass – Tempered glass is made with special thermal and chemical treatments to make it almost double as strong as regular glass. Should it break, tempered class with break into small granular shards rather than dangerous, jagged pieces.
- Window bars – Consider adding window bars for added protection. Go with a model that can be released from the inside in case of emergency.
- Laminated Glass – Laminated glass is similar to tempered glass in that it holds together when broken, but it also provides extra noise control, so you get less noise pollution from outside in your home. Laminated glass is ideal for windows in bedrooms.
- Extra Locks – The average window comes with a basic lock, but you can increase your window security by investing in an extra lock. Add a locking pin to hung windows, and a bolt to casement windows. Try to buy all the locks from the same manufacturer to make getting replacements and parts easier.
Preventative action is always better. Make your home safe with a window replacement for security. A basic window replacement will definitely help with security, but any of the above add-ons will make your home that much safer from people with nefarious intentions. After all, safety isn’t fun to think about, but it’s better to plan for it now than after a break-in.
The Window and Door Shop, Inc. is here to help if you’re looking to learn more about window security, or windows in general. We offer a variety of replacement window services in Sacramento, CA, and would love to get you the information or new windows you need. Please stop by our showroom located to meet us or see examples of our offerings or give us a call to schedule a consultation or get more information about what we can do for you.